WHAT TO DO AFTER YOUR HAIR RESTORATION SURGERY ?
- For the first 2-3 days, patients are advised to sleep on elevated pillows.
- Medications – including antibiotics and pain killers are prescribed for 2- 3 days.
- Next day of transplant, the bandage is removed and a mild shampoo & shower is allowed. For the rest of the week, shampoo and mild shower is to be taken on a regular basis. Further bandage is not required.
- Patients are advised to abstain from smoking for few weeks.
- Mild exercises are encouraged after first week but strenuous exercises can be resumed only after 2-3 weeks.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER TRANSPLANT SURGERY
On the transplanted area moderate redness and scabs will be present. Scabs generally start falling off after 10 days and any residual scabs or crusting may then be gently scrubbed off. On 3rd day, some swelling may appear on forehead. Sometimes significant swelling develops on 4-5th day across the root of nose and around eyes. By 6-7th day all swelling subsides. At the end of 10 days, the grafts are permanently in place and cannot be dislodged. After 10 days, the transplanted hair begins to shed off gradually and by 3-4 weeks all the transplanted hair shed off. After one month the follicles enter a resting phase, you may look very much like you did before the procedure. Patients may color their hair after one month of the procedure.
After 2-5 months :months of transplant, hair start to grow. Initially they are very fine hairs and gradually become coarse.
After 6-9 months of transplant, hairs are groomable but it continues to grow and thickens. Slight temporary textural change in hair is occasionally present.
After 1 year, the final appearance of the hair transplants can begin to be appreciated.